Please, don’t let the title fool you, this is not going to be a proper tutorial. It’s actually not a tutorial at all, mostly a look into the process that usually happens when I try to self draft a garment.
- First, sketch up the garment that you dreamed up, be sure to include all necessary measurements.
- Realize that those plans aren’t going to work out exactly the way you envisioned, make changes.
- Cut front of garment out, check size on child.
- Realize that the front is way too big, sew the former straps into a halter strap. Get child to hold the halter in place to determine proper length of halter strap.
- Be sure child never loses sight of the TV.
- Sew the back seam. Finish raw edges around neckline and back with bias tape.
- Try on child, avoid pictures because the garment is too tight around the arms.
- Cut halter and go back to original idea of two straps. Realize that tape measure is two floors up and use paper to measure where straps should continue/be placed.
- Trek back upstairs, pin measurements on ironing board, ironically, almost touching tape measure. Realize just how much more work is left and scrap the entire dress idea.
- Cut at maxi skirt length, sew elastic encasement, insert elastic, hem bottom. Take pictures of child, who is still ecstatic, even though her dreams of a maxi dress didn’t come true.
All in all, there was lots of trying and lots of realizing I was wrong. BUT, I have hope that I can make this dress that I envisioned come to life.